Sunday, February 4, 2007

The R100CS


Dizave asked about the history of the bike I managed to prang, so here goes.

When I lived in New England, I met a guy named Greg McQuide. He was a great guy. He aspired to be a moto journalist, but was teaching English at Northeastern University. We were both clubmates in the Yankee Beemers, so we got to know each other pretty well. I saw him riding his R100CS Last Edition all over New England and up and down the east coast. He usually hung out with his buddy Jim O'Connor who had an R65. We just called them both "The FNGs". Great guys, both of them.

Greg managed to snag a job with Motorcyclist, working for Mitch Boehm in LA. He packed up all his stuff, including his bike, and headed west. Tina and I moved out here about a year after him and probably 6 months after Jim. They were down in LA and we were up here in SF, so we had some difficulty getting together. Steve Hancock, another YB, was out here in the spring of 2000 and we arranged a camping trip for the FNGs and us in Morro Bay. Greg couldn't come because he was in Spain testing tires. We said we hated him, but we were all envious.

At the 2000 Honda Hoot, Greg was riding a Triumph back to his hotel and was run off the road and killed on the interstate in North Carolina. Such a shame. We lost a big happy puppy of a man and a good friend. This was right at the end of June, so we flew back to NY state for his funeral over the 4th. I met Mitch there, who had purchased Greg's bike from Greg's parents.

For a few years, I'd drop Mitch a note periodically, checking on the bike. Mitch always said he was going to restore it, and he didn't want to sell it and so forth, but a couple years ago, he finally let it go.

After the poor thing languishing in the basement of Motorcyclist's building for years, I got it back to a regular runner and have been riding it on nice weekends. Until the 4th of January this year, that is.

I'd always been a bit confused by any restoration effort. Do I leave it as is, scruffy, warts and all? Or do I take it apart and make it look new? I think the choice was made for me, so I'm going to take it all apart and make it look beautiful again.

That bike's been through a lot in the time I've known it. It deserves it.

6 comments:

David Ferrance said...

That's a sad story, but it's great to see how you've turned it into a positive memory of your friend.

-d

maddbrit said...

Great blog Dave!

I am at home with the flu and decided it was time to venture into your blog courtesy of your sig line in Advrider. Interesting history on your airhead for sure. I hope you get motivated to get the old girl back in shape soon.

MB

squish said...

It's good to hear that Greg McQuide BMW is getting
a resto.
It's sad when we lose a rider. I enjoyed the writing he did for that magazine. Never met the fellow but
From the sounds of it sounds like he was good one.

Cheers on ya.

Rob said...

Hi Dave,

My name is Rob, and I was a good friend of Greg's. I just googled his name and your blog came up. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that his old R100CS lives so close to me again (I live in SF). Back when Greg and I were both waiters at TGIF's in Boston he gave me a ride on that very bike to Gloucester's "singing beach," where each of us proceeded to get a sunburn in the shape of a phoenix on our backs because each wouldn't let the other lotion him up. I melted a good portion of my shoe on the exhaust. I also remember him showing me the bike stored in the (incredible) Motorcyclist garage down in LA cause he had access to so many other incredible bikes. Crazy. Anyway, if you are ever interested in selling the bike, or sharing stories about Greg, give me a ring. Thanks.

- Rob

Rob said...

by the way, you can reach me via rob dot passaro at gmail dot com.

MKD said...

I am glad to see you are restoring the bike. I ran into Greg's parents this weekend at their summer home in the Catskills.
I truely miss him. He was a great guy!!! We had spent a summer together at the lake when we were teenagers.

Marissa